Sometimes you just need a good comfort meal. Tuna Casserole is one of those warm, creamy, comforting dishes. This version uses spaghetti squash in the place of pasta, along with a coconut milk based cream sauce. I promise you won’t miss the pasta and dairy!
This Paleo Tuna Casserole is pretty easy to throw together with a little cooked Spaghetti squash. Just use your favorite method of cooking spaghetti squash, but cook it a little Al Dente since it will be further cooked once the casserole is put together.
- 2 cans tuna (I use Safe Catch or Wild Planet Tuna)
- 3 cups al dente cooked spaghetti squash, prepared into strands
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup peas (optional, omit for Paleo or Whole30)
- 1/2 cup Pork Dust (I've also used pulverized plantain chips)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place the prepared spaghetti squash on paper towels to absorb any extra moisture, wrap and gently squeeze to get the strands as dry as possible.
- Add tuna to a large bowl, and use a fork to break apart the chunks. Add in prepared spaghetti squash strands and combine.
- In a medium sauce pan bring water and half of the coconut milk (1/2 cup) to a gentle boil.
- While liquids are heating, mix together the rest of the coconut milk and the arrowroot flour in a bowl until well combined and there are no lumps (I use an Immersion Blender).
- Add pepper and salt.
- Once liquids have reached a gentle boil, add in the arrowroot mixture and stir rapidly using a wooden spoon. Liquids should start to thicken. Continue to stir for about 10 seconds, then remove from heat. Add the egg, and mix together thoroughly. Once egg is completely mixed in, add in the celery and peas and combine.
- Add the sauce mixture to the tuna and spaghetti squash, and combine well.
- In a 9X9 baking dish (or similar size), spread out tuna mixture evenly.
- Cover baking dish with foil and put in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Take out of oven and add Pork Dust topping. Bake for another 20 minute uncovered.
- To get a nice brown topping, turn oven to broil (450 to 500) for about 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, and serve.
- Prepare to be comforted!